- Book your Coach or Hypnotherapist today to support you stop smoking forever.
- Set your date and time to stop.
- Tell your family and friends of your intention to stop smoking and ask for their support.
- Think about prior attempts to quit and what went wrong. Plan on how to avoid the same pitfalls this time
- Throw away all cigarettes, lighters, and ashtrays in your home and car. If your partner smokes, suggest that they stop too.
- Plan for what to do in situations that you know make you want to smoke. Know your triggers
- Do some exercise you enjoy, such as walking or swimming.
- Say you daily affirmation throughout the day “I am now a non-smoker and I will breath fresh air for the rest of my life”
- Meditate or just practice deep breathing, this will help you relax and focus your mind on something else.
- Distraction: book a massage, go for a walk, go to the movies or visit a supportive friend.
S W A P
Swap the habit.
Choose something else you can do instead.
- Go for a walk
- Write in your notebook
- Deep breathing exercises.
Make a wish and visualise what your life would be once you have made the switch and swapped your bad habit for a healthy habit.
What are the positive benefits.
Try to make this vision as detailed as possible.
Decided on an affirmation that you can repeat throughout your day to reinforce your wish.
Plan & Practise
Plan how and when you are going to do this new habit.
Plan for how you will deal with challenges.
Repetition is the key.
Practice until it goes from a conscious choice to an automatic habit.
- If you have a passing thought of smoking say to yourself stop, visualise the word stop, focus on your breathing and think of all the reasons you are grateful for being a non-smoker.
- Write a list of all the reasons why you want to stop smoking and refer to this list whenever you feel tempted to light up a cigarette.
- Write down the things that you are grateful for to lift your spirits
- Focus on your strengths. Write down a list of your positive traits.
- Drink water – drink plenty of fluids to help flush the nicotine and other toxins out of your system. Instead of reaching for a cigarette put bottles of water around your home, car, and workplace. It is a good idea to drink plenty of fluids to help flush the nicotine and other toxins out of your system.
- Make sure you have healthy snacks readily available. Try eating an apple or some chopped up vegetables and dips.
- If you are feeling a void or low, do a random act of kindness, this had been proven to lift your mood.
- Cleaning your teeth when you would normally have a cigarette.
- Focus on deep breathing at times when you used to smoke, this will help you relax and focus your mind on something else.
- Try mindfulness and meditation or try a guided meditation.
- Start your new fitness routine, do some exercise you enjoy, such as walking, go hiking or swimming. Even walking for 5-10 minutes when you would normally smoke
- Do things you enjoy.
- Go to the movies
- Listen to music
- Spend time with supportive friends
- You could hold something else, such as a pen or beads or crystals, to replace the need to hold a cigarette
- Change the location of where you have your tea or coffee.
- Spend time each day to focus on your past good experiences.
- Think about a time you made someone laugh.
- Put aside the money you would normally spend on smoking and treat yourself. Your efforts deserve to be rewarded.
- Celebrate, tell your family and friends of your intention to stop smoking and ask for their support.